Semma Therapeutics, a biotechnology company focused on developing a stem cell-based cell therapy for Type 1 diabetes, is seeking a skilled research associate to join its growing team. The full-time role will focus on process development and chemical characterization of materials for manufacturing Semma's cell encapsulation technology. The successful candidate will have demonstrated proficiency in wet laboratory and data analysis skills. General lab duties such as preparation and cleaning of materials, sterilization, filtration, testing, and equipment management will also be included. The position will be located in Providence, RI.
- Perform chemical processes under SOP to synthesize or modify biomaterials as well as characterization and data analysis. Conduct materials analysis including mechanical testing, electron microscopy, FTIR, DSC, and various assays for functional characterization.
- Develop standard operating procedures that can be transferred to manufacturing and implemented under GMP.
- Assist in the management of laboratory equipment including calibration, preventative maintenance, and associated supply inventory.
- Ensure adherence to professional lab standards and practices to maximize safety and operational effectiveness.
- Maintain quality written descriptions of experiments including operational procedures and sampling techniques and provide study reports.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, able to write technical reports and protocols..
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Chemistry, Biomedical Engineering, Materials Science, Chemical Engineering or related fields.
- Minimum 1-2 years’ experience in laboratory operations and wet lab in materials processing.
- Flexibility in working schedule to accommodate weekend work.
- Authorized to legally work in US on a continuous basis.
- Knowledge of basic materials science analytical tools, including Instron mechanical testing, FTIR, SEM, viscometer and electronic lab notebook maintenance.
- Ability to interpret material characterization to enable design modifications and product improvement.
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and knowledge of statistics.
- Experience in microfabrication and immersion coating of biomaterial substrates
Please note that applicants should have authorization to work in the United States. Semma offers competitive pay, health insurance, time-off among other benefits. Please, fill out the form below and include your resume.