Semma Therapeutics, a biotechnology company focused on developing a pluripotent stem cell-based cell therapy for Type 1 diabetes is seeking a scientist to join its growing team. The full-time role will focus on the design, development, and evaluation of Semma’s core stem cell technology in small and/or large animal models. We are looking for a Research Associate who brings enthusiasm, intellectual curiosity, scientific rigor and a desire to innovate new medicines for patients.
The successful candidate will perform a wide variety of in vivo studies requiring strong animal surgery skills as well as in vitro and ex vivo biochemical techniques. In addition to performing dosing, monitoring, blood sampling, and tissue harvesting in studies for target validation, PK/PD, and technology evaluation, the candidate will provide overall operational support across different functions.
Under the supervision of senior scientists, the candidate will also be expected to play an integral role in authoring of SOPs, interfacing with external laboratories for establishing in-life functional testing and blood chemistry analysis. The position is located in Kendall square, Cambridge, MA.
- Perform rodent in vivo studies to advance our lead research and development programs
- Conduct dosing (iv, ip, oral gavage), blood sampling, tissue harvesting and data recording
- Coordinate sample storage, transportation and analysis
- Perform sample analysis using defined molecular and biochemical assays
- Execute studies using good documentation practices
- Effectively collaborate with a fully integrated team to facilitate the success of projects
- BS or MS in pharmacology, animal science, immunology, or related discipline, preferentially with at least 3-5 years of relevant industry experience.
- Demonstrated experience in small animal surgery, various methods of dosing and blood collection, anaesthesia, tissue harvesting and in vitro sample processing. Experience in initiating, maintaining, and evaluating animal models of metabolic disease.
- Able to troubleshoot, solve difficult problems, and develop process improvements
- Highly organized with good record keeping
- Excellent communication skills with ability to build open and collaborative relationships and work effectively as a member of a multidisciplinary team
- Flexibility in working schedule to accommodate weekend work
- Experience in evaluating and performing surgeries animal models of diabetes.
- Implantation of cells and/or devices in various sites in rodents.
- Experience with in vivo/ ex-vivo assessment of pancreatic islet function (oral GTT, IPGTT, IVGTT, GSIS, MMTT)
Please note that applicants should have authorization to work in the United States. Semma offers competitive pay, health insurance, time-off among other benefits. Please, fill out the form below and include your resume.