Semma Therapeutics, a biotechnology company focused on developing a stem cell-based cell therapy for Type 1 diabetes, is seeking a skilled R&D Engineer (Device Design and Simulation) to join its growing team. The full-time role will focus on designing and testing novel cell delivery modalities to enable the transplantation of Semma’s stem cell-derived islets. The successful candidate will have demonstrated proficiency in computer aided design, numerical simulation, and computational fluid dynamics, preferably relevant to cell encapsulation and/or medical devices. They will also have demonstrated experience to design and perform experiments to test/validate simulations. The position will be in Providence, RI and report to the Principal Scientist, Device Design and Simulation.
- The R&D Engineer will work in a team that focuses on device design and performance optimization and will also interface with other Delivery teams focusing on manufacturing and translational aspects of cell encapsulation technology.
- Identify and create new and innovative design concepts using CAD (SOLIDWORKS), develop computational models focused on structural analysis, computational fluid dynamics, and transport phenomenon, and conduct hands-on testing and model validation.
- Work closely with other disciplines, including device fabrication, manufacturing and delivery team, to improve and optimize processes and reduce device development cycles.
- Apply sound engineering principles to provide support for risk assessment, root-cause analysis, and next-gen technology evaluations.
- Coordinates, manages, and documents project goals and progresses.
- PhD in Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science, Biomedical Engineering or related discipline with 2-5 years industry experience or MS with 5-8 years industry experience
- Hands-on proficiency on common material characterization techniques including mechanical testing, viscometry, DSC, AFM, FTIR, and SEM
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to manage multiple projects
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Flexible team player excited to collaborate with internal and external partners
- Highly self-motivated
- Flexibility in working schedule to accommodate weekend work
- Authorized to work legally and permanently in the US
- Sound background in solid mechanics and computational fluid dynamics (CFD) both in theory and practical application, in a research and development environment
- Experience with finite element methods, finite volume method, and/or discrete element methods (DEM). Knowledge of turbulence modeling, multiphase flow modeling, stress analysis, non-linear materials modeling and fatigue theory is a plus.
- Proficiency in the use of state-of-the-art simulation tools (SOLIDWORKS, OpenFOAM, COMSOL, Star-CCM+, ANSYS). Experience with data analytics and visualization using Python programming language is a plus.
- Experience with running computational models on high performance computing environments and knowledge of 3D printing of plastic prototypes is desirable.
- Experience with prototype manufacture, process engineering and design for manufacturability techniques
Please note that applicants should have authorization to work in the United States. Semma offers competitive pay, health insurance, time-off among other benefits. Please, fill out the form below and include your resume.