Semma Therapeutics, a biotechnology company focused on developing a stem cell-based cell therapy for Type 1 Diabetes, is seeking a Research Associate to join its growing encapsulation team. The full-time role will focus on preparing Semma’s stem cell derived islets for encapsulation into a variety of delivery modalities. The Fill-Finish RA will serve as a general cell culture specialist for the Delivery group and will be involved in development of assays and processes to enable device evaluation. The position will be located in Providence, RI.
- The RA will work to perform tissue culture operations include cell thawing, transfer, aliquoting, and density manipulations as well as solution preparation and both cell- and device-specific analytics
- Work within a small team to culture and prepare stem cell-derived islets for encapsulation
- Perform assays related to in-process controls and product release
- Provide user feedback for continued development of process instrumentation
- Manage material inventory for encapsulation and cell culture activities
- Maintain cells in culture including routine media exchange, harvest, and sampling
- Oversee scheduling of routine maintenance, calibration, and decontamination of the tissue culture suites
- The position will also be involved in tech transfer to the GMP manufacturing group, including documentation and hands-on transfer of protocols and regulatory submissions
- BS or MS in Life Sciences, Bio-Engineering, or related discipline
- Experience in cell processing and harvest
- Demonstrated ability to perform technical manipulations using aseptic technique
- Ability to communicate effectively with a diverse range of scientists, physicians, engineers, regulatory specialists and business professionals
- Demonstrated excellence in planning, executing, and analyzing experiments
- Experience with programs such as Excel, GraphPad Prism and PowerPoint for data analysis and presentation
- Adaptive and a quick learner, efficient in multi-tasking and trouble-shooting, highly organized and good record keeping, excellent inter-personal and communication skills to excel in team work environment
- Flexibility in working schedule to accommodate weekend work.
- Authorized to legally work in US
- Previous experience culturing and handling stem cell-derived tissues
- Prior work in suspension culture
- Proficiency developing and running analytical assays to characterize cell products
- Experience with islet cultures and associated assays
- Experience in cell encapsulation
Please note that applicants should have authorization to work in the United States. Semma offers competitive pay, health insurance, time-off among other benefits. Please, fill out the form below and include your resume.