Semma Therapeutics, a biotechnology company focused on developing a stem cell-based cell therapy for Type 1 diabetes, is seeking a skilled scientist to join its growing team. The full-time role will focus on designing and testing novel cell delivery modalities to enable the transplantation of Semma’s stem cell-derived islets. The successful candidate will have demonstrated proficiency in computer aided design, numerical simulation, and computational fluid dynamics, preferably relevant to cell encapsulation and/or medical devices. They will also have demonstrated experience to design and perform experiments to test/validate the simulations. The position will be located in Providence, RI.
Under the supervision of the Principal Scientist of Device R&D, the Senior Scientist of Device Design and Simulation will work in a team that focuses on device design and performance optimization and will also interface with other Delivery teams focusing on manufacturing and translational aspects of cell encapsulation technology.
- Develop computation models focusing on flow, mechanical stresses, and other endpoints and perform simulations to address critical challenges in device development
- Provide input for device design and material selection based on engineering expertise and numerical simulations
- Work with device fabrication team to develop equipment/tooling to facilitate the device manufacturing
- Generate SOPs and perform other documentation tasks
- Work with CRO, CMO or other outside services on quoting & job awards assistance
- Interface with the Quality team as-needed for material, software, or hardware validation
- PhD in Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science, Biomedical Engineering or related discipline with 2-5 years industry experience or MSc with 5-8 years industry experience
- Demonstrated knowledge in COMSOL Multiphysics and Solidworks
- Hands-on proficiency on common material characterization techniques including DSC, tensiometry, viscometry, AFM, FTIR, SEM and Gurley
- Attention to detail and careful record-keeping
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to manage multiple projects
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Flexible team player excited to collaborate with internal and external partners
- Highly self-motivated
- Flexibility in working schedule to accommodate weekend work
- Authorized to work legally and permanently in the US
- 88Demonstrated expertise in computational fluid dynamics (CFD)88
- Demonstrated expertise in hyperelasticity, viscoplasticity and other nonlinear material properties
- Demonstrated knowledge in fatigue theory
- 2 - 5 years' biotech, pharma or medical device R&D experience
- Experience with cell therapy product development
Please note that applicants should have authorization to work in the United States. Semma offers competitive pay, health insurance, time-off among other benefits. Please, fill out the form below and include your resume.