Semma Therapeutics, a biotechnology company focused on developing a stem cell-based cell therapy for Type 1 Diabetes, is seeking a Chemical Engineer to join its growing encapsulation team. The full-time role will focus on development of materials, processes, and analytical techniques related to Semma’s cell encapsulation technology. The engineer will perform reactions to functionalize, synthesize, and purify a range of encapsulation materials, including the development of relevant characterization techniques to serve as analytical metrics. The position will be located in Providence, RI.
- Implement chemical processing strategies for purification, surface modification, and functionalization of encapsulation materials
- evelop and perform characterization of materials and encapsulated products including mechanical testing, electron microscopy, rheology, chemical composition, and functional assays
- Perform formulation experiments to deliver ancillary therapeutic agents in a variety of target release profiles
- Work within a team to design, develop, and integrate microfluidic strategies into instrumentation and hardware for use in aseptic filling and encapsulation
- Interface with simulation group to assist in the development and validation of CFD models
- Develop standard operating procedures that can be transferred to manufacturing and implemented under GMP to maximize safety and operational effectiveness
- Demonstrate proficiency in designing and executing scientific research experiments
- Maintain quality written descriptions of experiments including operational procedures and sampling techniques and provide study reports.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, able to write technical reports and protocols
- MS or PhD in Biomedical, Chemical or Mechanical Engineering, Material Science, Chemistry, or related field with at least 3 years of experience
- Experience in drug delivery, cell encapsulation, or microfluidic manipulation of cell clusters including bioreactor design
- Demonstrated proficiency in purification, modification, biomaterial functionalization including coupling reactions
- Proficiency in standard chemical analysis techniques including FTIR and NMR
- Flexibility in working schedule to accommodate occasional weekend work
- Authorized to legally work in US on a continuous basis
- Experience designing processing instrumentation including scale-up
- Experience in tech transfer to GMP
- Proficiency in mathematical modeling including CFD and diffusion
- Experience in microfluidics
Please note that applicants should have authorization to work in the United States. Semma offers competitive pay, health insurance, time-off among other benefits. Please, fill out the form below and include your resume.